Have children over the age of 18?

It’s important to have them sign Powers of Attorney to make you their agents in case of emergency.

Once a child turns age 18, you are no longer the legal guardian and cannot make financial and medical decisions for him or her. Therefore, it is important to have college students and young adults sign a Durable Power of Attorney and Patient Advocate Designation (sometimes called a Power of Attorney for Health Care) naming you as their agents. The Durable Power of Attorney grants you the power to handle financial decisions for your child and the Patient Advocate Designation names you as patient advocate to make medical decisions for your child in the event he or she is unable to do so.

I recently had clients come in to see me after their 19 year old son was injured playing soccer. He had broken his jaw and was having trouble communicating and the parents were running into difficulties trying to assist him.  With the proper documents, they could show their authority to speak on his behalf.

If you have children who are young adults, I would be happy to prepare these documents for you. They are not expensive and certainly well worth it. If that emergency happens, it will make things go a lot smoother if you have the powers of attorney in place already.

Article written by Karen L. Stewart, Attorney and Counselor. If you have any questions, please give me a call at (248) 735-0900. For more information, please see my website, www.customestateplans.com.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *